« Back to News
GH Phipps Construction Companies Earns LEED Certification from U.S. Green Building Council
Greenwood Village, Colo., — March 17, 2009 — GH Phipps received the LEED-CI (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design-Commercial Interiors) Silver certification for excellence in environmentally responsible design, construction and operation of their offices in
Greenwood Village, Colorado.
The LEED Green Building Rating System is a third-party certification program administered by the U.S. Green Building Council, a Washington D.C.-based, nonprofit coalition of building industry leaders and the nationally accepted benchmark for the design, construction and operation of high-performance green buildings. The LEED-CI green building rating system focuses on tenant improvements of interior spaces in single and multi-tenant buildings.
To earn the certification, GH Phipps commitment to building green included:
- A location within walking distance to shopping, restaurants and public transportation.
- Using recycled materials for the building and furnishings.
- Air quality and control measures including efficient rooftop systems and oxygen sensors.
- Work stations that take advantage of natural light and include recycling containers.
- Energy Star rated appliances located throughout the office space
- Light sensors in offices to reduce energy consumption.
- Using low-emitting materials including paint, sealants, carpet, adhesives and furniture.
- Bicycle storage racks near employee entrances.
- A fitness room with showers/changing rooms.
- Outdoor patio areas with picnic tables.
"Our LEED certification is a tremendous accomplishment," said Rhonda Kay, Chief Financial Officer for GH Phipps. "As a premier general contractor, we felt it was imperative to incorporate sustainability into our workplace, not only to educate our customers about the advantages of construction with LEED standards, but we also wanted our employees to feel good about where they work."
GH Phipps is committed to sustainable building and has 27 accredited professionals on staff. LEED Accredited Professionals (LEED APs) have demonstrated a thorough understanding of
green building practices and principles and the LEED Rating System. GH Phipps has undertaken LEED initiatives for the following projects:
- Boulder Community Foothills Hospital (Silver LEED™ Certification)
- Colorado College Russell T. Tutt Science Building (Silver LEED™ Certification)
- Colorado Springs Utility Lab (Silver LEED™ Certification)
- University of Denver – Nagel Hall (pending LEED™ Gold Certification)
- University of Colorado at Colorado Springs, Science and Engineering Building (pending
LEED™ Silver Certification)
- University of Colorado at Boulder, Ekeley Science Building (pending LEED ™ Gold
- Colorado State University, Research Innovation Center Lab Facility (pending LEED™
About GH Phipps Construction Companies
GH Phipps is an employee-owned full service Construction Manager/General Contractor. Revenues over $280 million make GH Phipps one of Colorado's largest contractors and one of the nation's top 400 contractors since 1985. Corporate headquarters are located in Greenwood Village, Colorado with branch offices in Colorado Springs and Fort Collins/Loveland, Colorado.